Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Drinking the Kool-aid

I have always been more of a follower than a leader.  And I'm totally fine with that. 


Earlier this year my two best friends (and fellow multiple mamas) Jenn and Marie decided to train for a half marathon.  They had both been training with the Couch to 5k program last year and decided to go for a big leap.   Jenn was training with a local Marathoner in Training program and Marie trained along side her from home.    I would have loved to play along at the time, but I don't have a treadmill at home (and don't have space for one), I didn't belong to a gym at the time (and couldn't really as my husband was traveling for work overseas 2 weeks at a time) and it was balls-ass cold outside (and who wants to set themselves up for failure as a new runner by freezing to death from the get-go??).  So I cheered them from afar.  And made a promise to myself that once the weather broke (or at least got above 40 degrees) I would start the Cto5k program myself outside.


I started the program in April.  During the wettest month my city/state has ever seen (fun times!).  But I did it.  And it was slow.  But over the course of the program I was amazed to see (like so many others) that I went from not being able to "run" 60 seconds to running 25 minutes straight. 


After watching Marie & Jenn run their first half marathon in May, I decided I would jump on the bandwagon, too.  If nothing else running would allow me time to myself -- to do something for ME -- a little each week.  And if Jenn & Marie could run 13.1 miles, so could I!  So here I am . . . I'm supposed to run 5 miles this weekend and needless to say I'm a little freaked out. :) 


So in this blog I hope to document my new "hobby".  And gush about my BFFs.  And maybe even add in some other healthy things -- like eating right and other exercise -- so I can continue down this path to a healthier me.  B&K get excited when they see me head out for a run.  And Tim has been super supportive as well.  So here we go . . .

1 comment:

BuckeyeBundle said...

Love, love, love! So proud of you for how far you (we) have come in such a short period of time. Also so grateful for your love and support to help me reach my goals. I'm hoping to be along side you to support you as you reach yours! <3