Tuesday, June 28, 2011

FIVE MILES {and some other exciting news!}

Last weekend the half marathon training program I'm working from called for us to run 5 miles.  F-I-V-E miles!  And considering the  most I had ever run was 3.1 (and at that only twice) I was a little intimidated.  I skipped the weekend the plan called for 4 miles (well, that was the weekend of the 5k I just did), so I was nervous about how this would work.  Us Mother Runners had suggested that when we started getting up to the higher miles -- anything above 5 -- we would meet up to run together to make it more fun.  So last weekend Jenn & I met up to run with her old running group MIT.  Holy moly guacamole!!  There were HUNDREDS of people there!  And I was so excited to meet a few of the awesome runners from my inspiration list over there.   I cannot thank Jenn enough . . . we started out with her old pace group -- the Lucky 13 - but given that I'm so slow we fell behind them.  I kept encouraging her to go ahead of me, but she hung with me and we chatted.  Honestly, we don't get to actually see each other in person/ talk nearly as much as someone might think (though we do "talk" daily), so it was really nice to just spend some time catching up!  (and for the record, she did most of the talking because I was focusing on not dying).  :)  I was excited to finish in my goal time of 1 hour 15 min.  I walked a few minutes a couple of times and walked the last hill (which was about .5 miles).  We run 5 miles again the weekend after next and I'm hoping to run more and crush that time (a bit).

In other exciting news, I won a little giveaway for month of Cyber Personal Training with Stong Body by Rebecca.  EEEP!!  I'm so very, very excited about this!  So stay tuned here (and on B&K's blog a bit) as I journal my progress. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 5 miler! Maybe I'll actually get to meet you next time.

Unknown said...

Yay!! thanks for the shout out. I really had fun and look forward to future long runs with you! Keep up the great work

Sara said...

Yay! It was so great to meet you too (Not only because you are awesome, but because I have never met another Sara W. besides myself!)and have you run with us. Come back sometime soon when you can!

I am beyond thrilled about the cyber training - I can't wait to hear all about it and see your progress! Way to go!

BabyBucko said...

I'm so proud of you!!

Mandy said...

Congrats on the 5 miles!!!

MIT is the best for finding lots of people to run with!